Have you always wanted to make your own clothes or perform basic repairs? Let us help get you started. The The Basic Sewing class meets 5 consecutive Tuesday evenings from 6 to 9 pm. First-time students are encouraged to begin with a Butterick pattern #3460. You will learn to take body measurements, evaluate the pattern and select the right size for you, lay out and construct a garment or two depending on your speed and how much homework you can do outside of class. You can repeat the sessions and complete projects of your own choice while still receiving assistance. It is possible to rent a sewing machine to use while in class for $25.00/per 5-week class session.
4 students minimum.
For the 1st class of each session please bring:
- Pencil and paper for note taking;
- Occasionally there is time to begin cutting your pattern out. You may also bring your pattern and prepared fabric (as described);
- Necessary tools with which to measure yourself, pin and cut the pattern and fabric: measuring table, straight pins, and fabric scissors
- Bring your sewing machine in case you have any questions about or issues with it. Generally, students do not have enough time to start sewing during the first class.
For 2nd-5th classes (we have all of the following items in store in case you do not have it already):
- Sewing machine needles size 80/11 and 90/14;
- Measuring tape;
- Seam ripper;
- Sharp scissors for cutting fabric - We can also sharpen your old scissors!
- Straight pins (we recommend the pins with glass ball ends. Unlike plastic, you can iron over the pins with glass ends);
- Seam gauge (a tool on which you set desired seam allowance and then check against your cut fabric as you sew; you can also use it for sewing hems);
- Tracing paper and tracing wheel; we also carry wonderful Swedish Paper (29" by 15 yards) for tracing your pattern on and can be used over and over to cut your fabric;
- Bodkin (to pull through elastic, ribbon, yarn);
- Thread to match your fabric color and type;
- Extra bobbins;
- Pellon Interfacing 911FF (may be needed for blouses or shirt as directed on pattern).
A pattern for the garments as mentioned on the front.
Elastic for skirt or pants (use your waist measurement as directed on the pattern).
Fabric as directed on pattern. It is best to use cotton or a cotton blend.
Please WASH, DRY and IRON your fabric before coming to class.
Please remember when selecting a pattern, you must go by your body measurements. You cannot go by the size that you wear in the store bought clothes. Ask the sales person where you are purchasing your fabric and pattern to assist you in selecting the correct size and yardage of fabric.
The first class of each 5-week session is a lecture. The following four classes will proceed with cutting out the pattern and sewing; and at that time bring your sewing machine and all sewing accessories.
Purchase a pattern of any brand with a pant or skirt that uses elastic or a draw string in the waist band. This type of pattern will usually be in a group of "sew quick and easy" patterns - for example, Butterick 3460.
Purchase a pattern of any brand with a top that is without set-in sleeves, has no buttons or zippers - included in Butterick 3460;
You can sew a project of your own choice!